The Theotoky family are an old landowning family in Corfu Island, Greece, several members of which have been prominent politicians. They originally hailed from Constantinople, whence they fled following its fall to the Ottomans, eventually settling in Corfu. The painter El Greco (Domenico Theotokopoulos) was descended from a branch of the same family that fled to Crete. The Corfiot branch was ennobled with the title of Count by the Republic of Venice and was entered in the Libro d'Oro, but their titles lapsed in Greece when the Ionian islands became part of the Kingdom of Greece, which did not recognise noble titles. The various branches are: The Calocardári, the Sclebúni, the Statháchi, the Sammárco, the Andrucélli, and the D'Aviázzo. The latter developed a tradition of public service and were further nicknamed the Politikoí (Politicians).
The Theotoky family is one of the oldest families in Greece and the Estate has been in the family for generations. John Theotoky, father of the current owner, Georges Theotoky, studied at the famous Universität für Bodenkultur (University for Agriculture) in Vienna and was deeply attached to the land.
John devoted himself to politics after the tragic death of his brother Nicolas Theotoky who, as Minister of War, was executed in 1922 by the opposition, after the loss of the Asia Minor Campaign. He served three times as Minister of Agriculture and in 1950 as his father had been before him became Prime Minister of Greece.
| || || |
Georges Theotoky, the son of John Theotoky, took over the Estate in the 60's, at a time when wine making in Greece was almost nonexistent, in a commercial way. The development of the Theotoky Estate, has been George's and his Italian wife's Claudia's passion ever since and their delectable red and white wine has become among the most celebrated estate bottled vintages in Greece. Under George's direction, the cellar has been completely renewed and modernised, bringing its production methods up to modern high standards, whilst maintaining the traditional appearance of the buildings which house the old barrels and bottles.
Georges J. Theotoky